How to Invest, Grow, and Protect Your Money (Women-only event)
Ottawa - Venue TBD
Sep 13, 2017 | 9:00am-4:30pm
Women everywhere say the same thing when it comes to investing: They don’t know what they’re doing and they’re afraid of losing money. So they play it safe, if they invest at all. By doing this, women harm their financial futures and their ability to thrive when life happens. And life always happens at some point.
In the book Shortchanged: Why Women Have Less Wealth and What Can Be Done About It, we learn that on average, women have 65% less wealth than men. This has an impact on women’s ability to thrive financially when faced with adversity – loss of job, health issues, change in marital status, and so on.
In this day-long workshop, Doris Belland, a women’s financial literacy educator, tackles the issue of investing for women. She will help break down the barriers so that you can move forward with confidence in growing your wealth.
Topics to be covered include:
- Understanding how your mindset and money story influence your financial decisions, based on psychological research.
- Uncovering where the wealth gap comes from, and the differences between men and women when it comes to investing.
- Tackling the terminology of investing. What on earth does it all mean?
- Considering the notion of risk. What is it really?
- The nuts and bolts of how to start investing.
- Comparing different investments – their strengths and risks.
- What is asset allocation and why is it so important?
- Outlining different investments strategies. What works, and when?
- Financial advisors – the good and the bad, based on research.
- How tax considerations affect investment choices.
Participants will leave with a completed work book and an action plan. They will also have access to a closed Facebook Group for further questions and community support following the workshop. Doris will follow up with the Facebook Group to encourage accountability.
NB. This course is being offered at introductory pricing of $497. It is a Beta-course for an on-line course in development. The workshop will only be offered twice at this price. Participants are asked to provide feedback on the content and presentation. Regular price is $997.
If request for registration cancellation is received at least 30 days prior to course start date, 100% of your registration will be refunded.
Registration is non-refundable less than 30 days prior to course start.
If you absolutely can no longer attend, we strongly encourage you to transfer your registration rather than cancel, as outlined below.
Transferring a registration to a different person for the same course date can be done at any time, at no additional cost. Transferring a registration to an alternate course date can be done up to 10 business days prior to the start date of the original course. Requests received less than 10 business days prior are not possible. We allow one change in date for free; additional changes will incur a 20% fee.